Listen to a Prophet's Voice

Twice a year members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints gather together to attend General Conference. Members and non-members are able to tune in throughout the world and receive inspiration and instruction from Church leaders. Over 100,000 people attend the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is viewed in 197 countries and territories and translated into 94 languages. General Conference sessions are held the first weekends in April and October. We are blessed to have the opportunity to hear from our prophet Thomas S. Monson along with his counselors and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. These meetings are directed under the influence of the Holy Spirit. Speakers have sought heaven's help in knowing what they should speak about. Living day prophets today speak on behalf of the Lord and reveal His will to man. At general conference we learn about what the Lord's will is for us. Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has said, "I promise that if you will listen, you will feel the Spirit well up within you. The Lord will tell you what He wants you to do with your life. In conferences we can receive the word of the Lord meant just for us." Many of us yearn for direction and answers to our questions. As we listen to the words of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, we will receive direction and gain answers to our questions.

In October 2011 I had the opportunity to attend the Priesthood Session of General Conference at the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was an amazing experience and one that changed the course of my life. During that time I was seriously contemplating whether or not to serve a mission. It was something I had always planned to do but I was uncertain as to when I should go. During the Priesthood Session Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles gave a talk entitled, "We Are All Enlisted." The spirit whispered to me that I needed to serve a mission as soon as I could. Three months later i received my mission call to serve in the England London South Mission. I now know why the Lord wanted me to serve a mission. It has changed my life and influenced me in more ways than I could ever imagine. I am so grateful for the spirit that whispered to me that I needed to serve a mission. I know from experience that as we listen to the words of the living day prophets and heed the whisperings of the still small voice, our lives will be directed for good. You will know more assuredly than ever that you are doing what the Lord wants you to do. I know that Thomas S. Monson is God's prophet here upon the earth. The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles stand as special witnesses of Christ to the world. When the Lord speaks they hear His voice. I know that Jesus Christ lives. He stands at the head of this Church and speaks to His prophet Thomas S. Monson. This weekend will mark the 184th Annual General Conference of the Church. Wherever you are throughout the world I urge you to listen to the words of the living day prophets. Come feast upon the words of Christ and nourish your faith with the good word of God.




No comments:

Post a Comment