The Tender Mercies of the Lord

What are the tender mercies of the Lord? Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has said, "The Lord's tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ." The tender mercies of the Lord can be seen in each of our lives. I know that they are real. They do not happen by chance or because it was merely coincidence. They happen because of a loving Savior who is full of grace and mercy and truth. In 1 Nephi 1:20 we read, "But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance." As we exercise faith in the Savior we will see the tender mercies of the Lord. Having faith in the Savior is to trust in Him and what He says. It's knowing that He has the power to keep His promises. Embracing the gospel of Jesus Christ will help us more clearly discern the tender mercies of the Lord. We will see His hand in our lives as we become His disciples.

As a representative of Jesus Christ I have truly seen the tender mercies of the Lord. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't see the hand of the Lord in my missionary service. I feel His love each day and I am grateful for the opportunity I have to stand as a witness of Him to the world. I would be lying if I told you that missionary work was easy. There are days when it is tough and you feel like the whole world is against you. It is during those times that I receive timely and profound messages from a loving Savior that gives me the strength to endure. I can't express how many times I have been seated in a sacrament meeting and someone gave a talk that was exactly what I needed to hear. From my own experience I have seen the Savior reaching out to me through others. We can be a vessel in the Lords hands to touch the lives of others. That is the beauty of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It teaches us to love and strengthen the weak. If we have the faith to listen and act upon the promptings of the Holy Spirit, we can be a light to those around us.

As a missionary I have been blessed to attend zone conferences where we are instructed by our mission leaders. Missionaries gather together to be instructed, edified and uplifted. I remember one such conference where I was rather discouraged. It had been a pretty rough week. Everyone was rejecting us and it seemed as though nobody wanted to listen to us. The night before the zone conference I remember pleading with the Lord asking Him to send me a message of comfort and counsel. At the end of the zone conference three missionaries were invited to the stand to bear their testimonies. As my name was called this scripture came to my mind, "For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister." (Hebrews 6:10). Was it a coincidence that I was asked to share my testimony that day? Did it merely happen by chance? No. A loving Savior was reaching out to me and giving me a timely reminder that He loved me and had not forsaken me. I am grateful for the Lords tender mercies in my life. I promise you that if you will be diligent unto prayer and be believing, you will see the tender mercies of the Lord. I leave you my witness that He lives. Jesus Christ is the Son of God. The Savior and Redeemer of the world. I love Him and will be forever grateful for His tender mercies.

























No comments:

Post a Comment